Charlene has led workshops at multiple schools in Qatar since 2013. Sessions invite dynamic, colourful, and collaborative creating, with an underlying purpose to build visual literacy, in children and adults. Charlene has worked with children as young as 3, through to elementary, middle and high school, as well as in specific sessions for adults and teachers.
Sirenia: A Little Dugong’s Tale
Sirenia, a little dugong, gets entangled in the problem of marine pollution! The book includes regional sea life and learning point about dugongs. The illustrations are created with collage and digitally composed. The process draws from the work and thinking of children and students as well as memories and experiences in Qatar.
• Session lengths and topics can vary depending on the age group.
• See session structures below.
- 2 to 3 sessions
- 4 to 6 sessions
- Large groups
(Several classes together)
• Sharing the story & creative process (Slideshow)
• Engaging students during the talk
- • Sharing the story & creative process
- • Hands-on artistic activity
Reinvigorate drawing, seeing, and thinking
Exercise divergent thinking and objective observation. The practices that are experienced in the session are an immediate take-away to integrated into each teacher’s classroom culture.
Sessions can be in the form of a talk and/or hands-on.
* Teacher-specific sessions can be added to half-day or full-day visits.
Community Classes & Experience
Charlene has taught community classes at Virginia Commonwealth University – Qatar since 2013.
Listed below is the range of adult and children’s classes she has taught in the past.
|Adults||• Spontaneous Inks, Watercolour & Charcoal|
• Digital Illustration
• Illustrated Ideas
• Illustrate Your Children’s Story
• Character Illustration
• Imagine Your Picture Book Character
• ‘Love Doha Colours” and colour theory
|Educators & Adults |
who work with Children
|• Creative Development for Adults working with Children|
• ‘I Can’t Even Draw a Stickman’
• Explorative Stop-motion animation
• Art, plus Math & Science––of course! (Co-taught)
• Illustrated Ideas
• Expressive Drawing & Painting
Get in touch
Let’s plan a workshop, school visit, or a presentation!
To inquire about details, send me a message. I’ll be happy to connect.